Home Office Update

24.1.15

Have you ever had a house that had a room and no matter how hard you tried, you couldn't find a PURPOSE for that room? You've tried it as a sitting room for books, as an office, as a playroom, as a closet .. nothing sticks.  This is that room. It's what we call the "extra room".  It's in a spot of our home that prevents it from being an extra bedroom (right next to the living room), and it's small.  At only 10'x8', it's tiny.   It also slopes like crazy - literally there is a 3" difference in the height of the room from one side to the other.  So much fun in a rolling chair!!!

Since posting a while back about our "empty rooms" and their coinciding renovations, we've changed things up a bit!  The office - still an office, but more of a workspace - has changed to be more simple. Gone is the gray desk, and in it's place is a large dining room table that is perfect for everything from painting signs for my Store to wrapping gifts at Christmas to becoming an extra dining room table for the kids when we have huge family gatherings or most recently, for homework time. I love multifunction spaces like this!!!


Before we get ahead of ourselves, let's start with the BEFORE - the day we bought the house.  Yum on that wallpaper, right?


And the AFTER:

To achieve that striped wall, I first gathered all of my courage to tell my husband my idea.  His response?  Buy wallpaper.  But when I looked at the price of wallpaper in this style, I was less than impressed and thought "I can do that."

And so with my trusty roll of green frog tape and a 12 hour block of time, I taped and measured. Over and Over and Over again.  



To keep things simple, we opted for this old ladder to display my favorite magazines, and tissue paper for wrapping gifts.  It's simple, it's stylish and truly functional.

The rug is an absolute necessity in this room because of the slope.  With no rug when you sit on the rolling chair, you will roll right to the other side of the room.  lol.. it's fun, but if you're in the middle of writing something, it gets annoying.





This has become one of those rooms that I just love to sit back and stare at. The wall captures my attention every time I walk by, and I'm so thrilled that I took the time to make it.  It goes to prove my point that most looks for those amazing accent walls out there can be achieved with paint.  Instead of spending $350 on one wall of wallpaper, I spent $3.99 on one little can of paint and $6.99 for a roll of tape.  That is definitely my kind of renovation.

Resource List:

Table -  Craigslist - ($15!!)
Lamp - Homegoods
Blue box - TJMaxx
Simplify Sign - Etsy
Chandelier - Overstock.com
White Chairs - Overstock.com
Laptop - Macbook
Rug - Pottery Barn

The wall color (gray green) is Aloof by Sherwin Williams
The Gold stripes were painted over a white (Snowbound by SW) with Martha Stewart's Vintage Gold Metallic Paint (found at Home Depot)

~Jessica




COMMENTS:

I have commenting turned off for this blog, but I would love for you to venture into my Instagram (@polishthenest) to catch up with and chat with me there!!  XOXO

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Content copyright Kindred Creative 2014/2015. Powered by Blogger.